Monday, June 20, 2011

"You would not believe your eyes..."

I get home from a days work. My cell phone rings. It's Production Iris.
"Hey, are you free to shoot?
Sure, when?
In about 2 hours!"

And again, grab my gear, head out the door. On the menu tonight? Trendy pop band called Owl City. Wow, I actually know of them! They have this catchy song called Fireflies (yes, the title of this post is the opening lyric.)

This was a bit of an odd show to shoot. I've been used to showing up early, finding a spot, getting comfortable. Maybe shooting the opening band, maybe not. But for Owl City, I wasn't allowed in for the opening band. I was there to shoot them, no one else. 3 songs and out. They were going on around 8:30pm and the 4 photographers there were waiting at the entrance for our cue to go in. The Evenko organizer came by, gave us the 3 song spcheil and let us in.

Ok... not what I was expecting. The floor was already packed with fans. I couldnt get in close. I managed to make my way to about the 6th row on one side and did some shots there. I then had to move around in back of the crowd, shooting between heads (thankfully most of the fans are short teenaged girls hehe), trying to get something decent, emotional and interesting.

It was a real challenge I must say. One I haven't faced before. I'm getting used to getting the shots I need in 3 songs. I'm learning to shoot with bad lighting, or simply not to shoot with a total blue wash of light. But this was all that, and no easy access anywhere.

Nothing better than a bit of a challenge to get you going.

The gallery is up! Click ici





No comments:

Post a Comment