Saturday, February 27, 2010

Australia, here I come

From March 6th to March 27th 2010, I will be on a life long dream trip and heading down to Australia with my wife and some friends. This is my first time traveling with my dSLR and I've been going through the motions of planning for the trip.

My photography should center around both urban city shooting and landscape shooting. Our trip is starting off in Adelaide, We are here for 4 days, and as our first stop, probably the main thing we will be doing here is getting over jet lag. We have a day tour planned in the famed Barossa Valley wine regions, and the city itself seems to have a lot of classic buildings and churches. Turns out we are going to be there during the Adelaide Festival of Arts which consists of outdoor concerts, plays, opera, theatre and other cultural activities. I'm hoping to get in some street candids and such.

We are then heading out to the Great Barrier Reef and staying in Palm Cove, which is just north of Cairns. Photo interests here are going to be centered around beaches, sun sets and rain forests. I'm undecided whether I'll have a underwater camera. The beaches around the area have box jellyfish, one of the world's most dangerous sea creatures...add to that the tiny octopus, the sharks, eels... I sometimes wonder why we are heading down!

We then head off to Ayer's Rock for some time in the Outback, aboriginal art, Uluru, desert landscapes and hopefully some amazing star gazing.

Our last stop is Sydney. We are going to be taking a trip to the Australia Zoo, maybe head out to the Blue Mountains, Bondi Beach and of course, the opera house, Sydney Bridge and many chances to get some great urban shots.


Lenses and equipement

- Picked up a 70-300 lens. While not a fan of telephotos, it gives a decent image, is light and 300mm on a crop body should be good for wildlift
- Canon 10-22 wide angle which should see alot of action both in landscapes and in city shooting
- Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lens. Dont leave home without it
- CPL for my wide angle + a Cokin system with a couple of ND filters.
- Manfrotto tripod and head. Wont be with me all the time, but essential for night photos
- 2 Lowepro bags. A Primus AW for longer hikes. Body + 3 lenses in the bottom, plenty of room up top and a tripod strap. Classified 160AW for a general purpose bag with body and 1-2 lenses.
- 1x 8GB card and 3x 4GB card. Asus netbook with upgraded ram which allows me to run Adobe Lightroom and PS Elements. Will also be a backup for my photos


Travelling prep
- Keeping my eye on carry-on restrictions. Went from being allowed to have 2 bags down to just 1. Will store most of my gear in my carry-on, maybe 1 lens, nicely wrapped, in my checked bag
- Photocopies of all my lens and body receipts to allow for easier customs time
- Reading up on what to see and what to shoot in Australia. Been checking posting forums and getting ideas from local photographers


That pretty much covers the prep for the trip. I hope I didn't forget anything, but at least we are headed somewhere where I can always purchase something essential I may have forgotten.

I'll let you all know how things went!

No comments:

Post a Comment